Bundaberg hooked on bra record

“WE did it!” The words came from Citizens Who Care founder and chair Rob Bauer with a mixture of excitement and relief after the world's longest bra chain record attempt was successful over the weekend.

At 4.07pm on Saturday, Mr Bauer stopped his army of volunteers for a second to break the good news.

Bundaberg breaks Guiness world record bra chain.


“I was counting right the way through and I was keeping quiet about it and they thought something was wrong,” Mr Bauer said.

“I told them, we cheered and then all had a beer.”

A total of 166,625 bras were hooked together to form a chain stretching 163.775km around the Bundaberg Showgrounds beating the previous mark held by Cyprus by a whopping 52km or 54,883 bras.

“We could have stopped then but I thought if we are going to break a world record we are going to do something people are not going to have a go at (for a while),” Mr Bauer said.

It took Mr Bauer three years and one month to collect the bras for the record attempt - which was organised to support the McGrath Foundation breast cancer charity.

“Now I'm going to have a rest and go on holidays,” Mr Bauer said.

“I do have something new planned but I haven't talked about that with my wife yet.”

The record attempt would not have been successful without help from volunteers like Helen Rimmington who gave their time to hook and clamp the bras together.

“I used to take them home and sit in front of the TV hooking them together,” Mrs Rimmington said.

“I had blisters on my fingers from all the hooking.”

Mrs Rimmington was astounded by the amount of support the attempt received.

“It is just absolutely phenomenal the support. We could not have done it by ourselves and the people who have come out of the woodwork have been amazing,” she said.

Citizens Who Care now face an anxious wait to see if the Guinness Book of World Records judges their attempt as valid, which could take months.